The Hieroglyphic Monad by John Dee (Deluxe)
PRE-ORDER – SHIPPING EARLY FEBRUARY 2019
Edition of 30
- Cloth-bound hardcover, gilt-stamped in gold
- 6 x 9 inches, octavo, 120 pages, sewn-binding, custom illustrated endpapers, dustjacket
- Accompanied by reproductions of several pages from books that formed part of Dee’s library including his personal annotations in the form of large-scale giclée prints on archival paper
- Includes material from the British Library and Wellcome Collections
- Includes the Dee self-portrait as a tipped-in miniature giclée
- The deluxe comes housed in a custom illustrated card box
- Additionally each deluxe comes with a separate photograph taken of the site of Dee’s home in Mortlake, London in 2018. Each photo is unique as 30 different perspectives and angles were used for the photography
- Brand new translation with extensive footnotes by Michael Zellmann-Rohrer (University of Oxford)
- Specially commissioned essay by Emma Doeve
- Features a rarely-seen self-portrait by Dee
The Hieroglyphic Monad represents a visionary Elizabethan mind seeking to conjure the embodiment of universal knowledge into a single symbol. Written in just two weeks, the text has confounded scholars and general readers alike but this new translation, over a year in production, seeks to provide clarity and context and, in doing so, better convey the sheer ambition of its author.
As the translator, Michael Zellman-Rohrer notes, “Dee … heralds fundamental new insights … in the fields of grammar, arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, optics, metrology, mechanics (particularly hydraulics), medicine, cabala, divination by scrying, and alchemy.”
Including an introduction by the the translator and specially commissioned essay by Emma Doeve that looks at the very nature of Dee’s work and examines the sources of his inspiration (including Kabbalah, astrology and alchemy), this brand new edition of the Hieroglyphic Monad will provide greater insight than ever before into one of John Dee’s most famous texts.